Stick Man is a thought-provoking story that allows children to think outside the square and discover alternative uses of common objects. The use of rhyme throughout the story sets the pace for reading and children enjoy the rhythm and repetition. Children can relate to the humor in the story as well as the deeper issues of separation and loss. Every sentence is accompanied by detailed illustrations that captivate the imaginations of young children. The detailed illustrations encourage children to explore this book beyond just reading it and Stick Man is a book that is repeatedly requested in my classroom.
- Make a rhyming dictionary using words from the book
- What else could you use a stick for?
- Rewrite the story from the perspective of Stick Lady Love
- Rewrite the story as Stick Mans diary
- Create a missing poster for Stick Man
- Write some postcards that Stick Man can send to his family about his adventures
- Find some sticks outside and create your own Stick Man and story
- Rewrite the story with Cup Girl or Fork Boy as the main characters
Grab your copy of Stick Man here: