Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is one of my favorite read aloud books. Children can easily relate to all of the tactics that the pigeon uses and they don’t fall for any of them! I love sharing this book with my students and hearing them all yell “no” every time the pigeon tries to persuade them to let him drive the bus. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is truly a unique and hilarious book that children will love.
- List the emotions that the pigeon experiences. Draw/act them out.
- Discuss the different techniques the pigeon uses to persuade the reader. Ask students which technique is most/least likely to work.
- Ask students what is something that they really want to do. Students write/draw their answer with an example of how they might ask.
- Discuss what might happen if the pigeon did drive the bus. Students draw their own response to this.
- Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWEekO4ufwM
- Ask students if they would let the pigeon drive the bus. Graph responses.
Grab your copy of Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! here: